When you are planning a trip in your campervan or motorhome, it is difficult to know what to pack. This is particularly true when your trip is to Europe; trips around this continent usually involve journeying through places with different climates and terrains, so you need to pack with variety in mind. Here is a guide to help you know what to pack when traveling in Europe by campervan.
Personal Items and Clothes
If you are planning to visit the whole of Europe, north to south and east to west, you will want to pack for every eventuality. Consider taking clothing that could keep you warm in the event of snow, especially if you are planning to travel to a mountainous area or you are traveling in the winter months. Northern Europe in particular can get very cold, but it is not unheard of for places further south to have snow, so plan ahead!
As well as typical travel items like t-shirts, socks, and underwear, here is a list of things you would not want to be without:
- Shoes (trainers, hiking shoes/boots, sandals, one pair of smarter shoes)
- Cold weather clothes (warm sweaters, coats, thick socks, thermal layers, hats, gloves)
- Hot weather clothes (shorts, vest tops, sunglasses, sun hats)
- Laundry bags to keep dirty clothes, and detergent
- A small backpack for day trips and short hikes
- Toiletries—and a toiletry case to keep them organized
- Towels (microfiber towels are handy as they are compact and they dry quickly)
- Bug spray, especially for hot or summery climates
- A reusable water bottle for day trips
- A first aid kit—this is essential!
- Any electronics (tablets, laptops, cellphones, etc.) and their chargers
Do not forget to bring an adaptor plug if you need one, as the EU has different plug sockets than those in the US and the UK.
Different countries in Europe have different rules about what you need to have with you on the road, so do not get caught out. For example, laws in France stipulate that you need a high-visibility jacket in case you break down. Make sure you are prepared for every eventuality by checking the requirements of each country ahead of time.
If you are not sure of the rules for driving a campervan or motorhome in Europe and what you need to consider after Brexit, make sure to read this great guide to caravanning in the EU.
Camping Gear and Comfort
If you are heading for a long trip, you will want to make sure you have everything you need. A good way to figure out what to take is to make a list of everything you use in a day at home. If you need it at home, you will probably want it while you are traveling.
Here is a list of essential camping gear for a trip to Europe:
- Bedding—sleeping and pillows, but also an extra comforter for colder nights in northern Europe
- Gas or fuel for cooking, plus a stove if your caravan does not have one
- Cooking utensils. Buy one multipurpose pot and use it for everything!
- Plates and cutlery
- A chopping board and a sharp knife
- A washing up bowl, a sponge, and dish soap
- A bottle opener—do not get caught without one!
Whatever your plans for traveling with your motorhome or caravan in the EU, make sure you are prepared before you hit the road. Packing carefully will make sure you have a good trip!